We believe the gospel is central to who we are as individuals and as a church. It is the foundation and the motivation for our love and actions.
- We believe in one God who exists in three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 4:6-7, Matthew 7:11, 2 Corinthians 1:3)
- We believe the Bible in the original text is the inspired Word of God that it was written by men through the power of the Holy Spirit. (2 Timothy 3:15-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21)
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God become flesh revealing God to man and becoming the Savior of the world. (John 1:1,14; 14:6-7)
- We believe that mankind was created in the image of God to have fellowship with Him but became an enemy of God through breaking God’s laws in sinful disobedience. As a result, man is incapable of regaining a right relationship with God through his own efforts.(Genesis 1:27, 2:7, Romans 3:10-12)
- We believe the blood of Jesus Christ shed on the cross provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sin. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in the finished work of Christ alone. Salvation is expressed by repenting of sins and trusting in Jesus alone for salvation. (1 John 1:9, Romans 6:23, John 20:31, Romans 10:10)
- We believe that water baptism by immersion is a response to salvation and not a means of salvation. It is not necessary for salvation but as a response to the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit in a person’s life. (Colossians 2:12, Acts 8:35-39, 16:30-33)
- We believe that every Christian will live for Christ and not for himself. By obedience to the Word of God and daily yielding to the Holy Spirit, every believer will mature and be conformed to the image of Christ for his good and God’s glory. (1 Peter 1:16, 1 Corinthians 1:2,30; Galatians 5:22-23)
- We believe that the Lord’s Supper should be taken regularly as a church body as a visual reminder of the broken body and shed blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sins. It is only to be taken by those who have repented of their sins and trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation. (Matthew 26:26-30, 1 Corinthians 11:26)
- We believe that the larger Church is the body of Christ, of which Jesus Christ is the head. The members of the local church are those who have trusted by faith in the finished work of Christ. The purpose of the church is to glorify God by loving Him and by making Him known to a lost world. (Matthew 28:19-20, 1 Corinthians 12:7, Hebrews 13:17-18)
Final Authority for Matters of Belief and Conduct:
This statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of River City Church’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our pastor and external overseers are River City Church’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.
We are considered an initiative of the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches and are supported by churches that are part of this fellowship.